Thursday, March 5, 2009

I need your opinion....

I have a job interview at the Idaho Botanical Gardens next Thursday. The position is 'Garden Teacher'. Teaching classes (mostly to school children) and giving tours. It would be VERY part time, so I'd have to keep the job at Christopher & Banks. Any way, I have to do a 5 to 10 minute presentation as part of the interview, and I can't decide what to talk about. I need your input!

I've done so many classes and talks on so many subjects over the years. I probably should do something plant related. I can use visual aids and props if I want, so I could do an actual demonstration on something.
I could do "How to get an orchid to Re-bloom." or "Ikebana - Japanese Flower Arranging". I could do "Elements of Landscape Design", "Growing Roses", or "Attracting Birds to Your Yard". I could do something from one of my articles, like, "Inside Out with Houseplants" or "Improving Indoor Air Quality with Houseplants."
I thought about doing something for kids, since it will usually be kids that I'm teaching. But the classes I've done most for kids was "Personal Safety" and "Planting a Flower Pot for Mom". I will be giving this presentation to adults, so maybe a kid thing is not the best idea. Any ideas??? What do you think? I really want this job, so what's gonna WoW them?

5 comments:

kate said...

OOohhh!! What an awesome job for you!!! As for what to talk about...maybe the attracting birds to the yard? That would appeal to the grown-ups but would also be interesting to kids. I think you should also tell them that you have so many things you could talk about that you had a hard time deciding! And tell them that you really, really want the job.

Hope you get it!!! Fun!!!

JACKI said...

ugh... I had this comment all written out and blogger ate it. But, basically... I agree with Kate. A presentation on how to attract birds & butterflies would be fun. Buuuut... at the same time, that might be the most common presentation so you would really have to step it up! Your very creative so I have no doubt that you'll think of somthing fun!

I hope you get the job! It sounds so much fun and so... you! Maybe they'll even like ya enough to bring you on full time in the future. You definitly know your stuff!!! xoxo

Jodi said...

I agree, who doesn't want to know how to attract birds to their yards? I think that would be a great topic and one you know a lot about.

Dee said...

Numbering your options, #s 3,4,or 5 would be great, and pop in a brief "Flowerpot for your Mom" to finish.

That would be right up your alley, having even a part time job doing that. Fun !

Dee said...

Lisa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!