Friday, December 28, 2007

A special Christmas visitor...

Several times in the past few weeks, I thought I heard that distinct, shrill chirp of a hummingbird coming from our hedge of evergreen photinia shrubs. Because it's December, I thought it surely was too late for any hummers to be around. But their chirp is so distinct, what else could it be??? Well,... just in case, we put out a feeder.
Sure enough, we got a visitor. On Christmas day, a little male Anna's hummingbird came to sip the energy rich nectar that is so hard to find this time of year. He was so pretty!
Yesterday, I talked with a friend of mine who works at the Tualitin Wildlife Refuge, and apparently, the Anna's hummer does sometimes stay year around in this area. She said it's a good idea to keep the feeders filled because natural sources of nectar are very hard to find.
(Leave it to ANNA'S hummers to be the rebels!)
What a great little Christmas surprise he was! I would have loved to invite him in for a cup of nice warm cocoa, but I guess they don't like chocolate.

4 comments:

Dee said...

Your Anna is gorgeous !!!!!! And how does Bob know they don't like hot chocolate?
What a happy surprise. He'll love you for the goodies. Yesterday I saw lots of birds out beneath my feeders, got the binocs and there were 14 Meadow Larks. They were beautiful ! I wonder ---- do they stay all winter, or did they come back too soon? Today it snowed about 3 inches-----they came at the wrong time !
Oh, yeah, great pic !

kate said...

Awww, that's so cool! That is one of the great things about Oregon: birds year round. Very cool birds.

I'll have to show my Anna your Anna!

Jodi said...

How fun! Keep hinm fed!

Jodi said...

time for a new post sister1