Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Lifelong Roommate

"She is not quite refined. She is not quite unrefined. She’s the type that keeps a parrot." ~ Mark Twain

My Gracie Bird came to work with me today. She needed a break from the boredom of being home alone with the Three Stooges.

I’m sure glad I’ve had her with me while Bob has been gone. She really is wonderful company, and has kept me from getting lonesome. Gracie is not like a pet at all. She’s more like a,… well, like a roommate or a friend. I wouldn’t say she’s like having another child, it’s a very different relationship than that. It’s not the loving, nurturing relationship one has with a child, or a dog, even. It’s more grown up than that, more conversational. She let’s me know what she wants and needs, and she lets me know when she’s bored and what’s something to do. And I let her know what I want and need, and when I’m bored and want something to do.

She’s versatile, portable, and not skiddish around strangers or new places. So if I want to go for a walk around the block or something, Gracie is more than happy to go with me. I have a little padded harness that goes across my shoulder and she just rides along and enjoys the view!

She’s curious, and truly interested in things. If I’m doing something new, she asks, "Whatcha doin’?" And she actually wants to come closer and see. So I usually tell her, and explain stuff. I know she can’t really understand what I’m telling her, but she loves just being included. She’s been sitting on the back of one of the dining room chairs the past several nights, watching while I piece together Cole’s patchwork baby quilt. It’s funny, sometimes when she’s doing something silly, I’ll say, "Whatcha doin’?", and she will mumble some jibberish as if she is explaining it to me.

Gracie and I understand each other, we entertain each other, and make each other laugh. Actually, it’s kind of like having Kate around! Only, she doesn’t poop as much. Kate, not Gracie. Did I explain that right? Well, you get the idea.

3 comments:

kate said...

Well, um, thank you...? At least Gracie is highly intelligent and the funniest bird she knows!! And, like me, if you get too close she'll draw blood. Yeah, I can see the comparison.

Super Chicken Football!!!

Jodi said...

You'll have to let us know what your co-workers thought of her. s she missing Bob?

Anonymous said...

wifa!