Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jambo!
Jina langu Linda.
That means "hello". And "my name is Linda".

I'm practicing my Swahili! Hope you don't mind.
I figure if I'm going over, even for two weeks, I should know a few of the more important words.

Tafadhali is "please", and Ahsante sana is "thank you".

Vizuri is "good", vibaya is "bad".

Sifahamu kiswahili is "I don't understand swahili". (I better have that one down good!)

Unasema Kiingereza is "Do you speak english?"

Swahili is not a pretty language. It uses a lot of consenants that don't seem to go together, like Ngorongoro, which is the name of one of the big wildlife regions north Morogoro
where I will be. In Swahili you pronounce each letter, none are silent. It just doesn't roll off the tongue easily.

Oh, and since I'm going to an area that is full of lions, hyenas and other nasty predators, another word I probably should know,... Kimbia! - "Run!"

4 comments:

kate said...

How do you say: "Pardon me sir, do you have any poptarts?"

Linda said...

Um, I'm still looking up that one. Haven't found the word for taco or pizza yet either. But I will. I'm confident they have them.

Dee said...

It might do you well to learn "please don't eat me !" They do have awfully large pots on large fires . Can you say "hot tub"?

Jodi said...

If you're learning the language, I hope you get to go! I don't think there's too many Swahili speaking people in whereverthehellitis that you live. Why can't I ever remember the name of your town???