Friday, February 20, 2009

"If we were meant to be naked, we’d have been born that way!"

I’ve had some questions about a previous post in which I mention being a member at a nudist resort a couple of years ago. People are always curious about nudism. Their first thought is usually, “Why would anybody want to do that?” So, I’d like to take the opportunity here to talk a little bit about nude recreation. (Sorry Mom.)


My adventure “up on the mountain” was a great experience, but I also discovered that it is the most misunderstood hobby, recreation form, or lifestyle in the world. I will try to explain, over the course of a few posts, why I was willing to try it, what I liked and disliked about it. I’ll also talk about why I think this form of recreation is healthy, natural, and even innocent and pure.

First a little background:

I got divorced a few years ago after almost 21 years of marriage. He was a great guy, but zero sense of adventure. I, on the other hand am very adventurous, so as time wore on, I felt more and more trapped, bored, and smothered. Once single, I vowed I was going to try as many new adventures as I possibly could.

So when I began dating a rather adventurous geologist named Bob, he asked me if I would be willing to try going up to a nudist resort with him. My first and immediate response was NO,(Actually, I think it was "Hell NO!"), then I thought, “ Wait, you wanted to try new things… at least consider it!”

So after a few months of gentle coaxing, (Bob never tried to force the issue), I agreed to try it one time, and only for a brief amount of time. Bob reassured me that the resort was ‘clothing optional’ so if I didn’t want to disrobe, I didn’t have to. That helped. He also explained that the area is private and fenced, and no PDA’s are allowed. (Public Displays of Affection) Couples can hold hands but that’s about it, pretty much any other touching is prohibited. They also do a background check on everyone who goes up there, to ensure that no 'creepy’ people join. And everyone carries a towel ALL the time, to sit on, or cover up with. So I felt comfortable that it was a very secure and safe environment. Plus I was with Bob, and I’ve never felt safer in my entire life, than when I was with Bob. So up the mountain to the Idaho Bare Backers resort we went! http://www.bareidaho.com/

I don’t mind saying I was nervous, but more so because I was afraid I’d do something really stupid like laugh at some of the naked bodies! As some of you know, I tend to have a bad habit of laughing at in-opportune times. But I didn’t laugh, because everyone I met was so kind, genuine and polite. And everyone always made good eye contact. It was AMAZING how quickly I felt comfortable. I never would have guessed it.

What a beautiful place! The resort sits among huge pine trees. It’s all very well kept. There’s a nice pool and sun deck. It has a cute little clubhouse, a dance floor, and a hot tub. There is volleyball, and horseshoe pits, a community fire pit and beautiful lawn and BBQ area. (And yes, they ALWAYS wear aprons when BBQing or frying bacon. …grin,…) They also have camping spots for tents and trailers.

Over the course of the summer, Bob and I went up there almost every weekend. (There was no AC at our little shack on the hill, so that pool was darned nice!) I met some wonderful people, who I know will be lifelong friends. But the best thing I got out of this new experience, (besides the great tan!), was that I learned that I can be comfortable in my own skin. Real beauty truly does indeed come from within.

(For more info see AANR, the American Association for Nude Recreation. http://www.aanr.com/top_experience.html )

6 comments:

kate said...

You know, Americans are so much more uptight about nudity than Europeans are. It's our Puritanical history, I guess. But in Europe, you go to ANY beach and almost every woman is topless and you see EVERY size and shape of person in teeeeeeny little bikinies. I remember in Greece seeing this extremely heavy woman, wearing only a tiny bikini bottom....the she turned and walked toward me and she had had a mastectomy, so only one breast...and yet she radiated confidence, had a beautiful smile and her husband clearly thought she was just gorgeous. I wish we ALL felt that comfortable in our skin.

kate said...

Boy...no body else is touchin' this one, are they? :)

Jodi said...

So you put links to AANR and barenakedidaho up like any of us are really going to look!

Jodi said...

Oh, and Kate, about that one-breasted woman, I don't care HOW comfortable you are in your own skin, that just makes mine crawl...

Dee said...

Sorry, I can't resist !

Dancing ! ( tee hee, giggle, hand over mouth, shaking with mirth. )

H said...

Oops, I didn't see this until today (2/22). It's funny, ya know.. my dad is a nudist and he really tried to keep it a secret for a while. But when I found myself having to call before I came over just to make sure he was decent, and because I found a towel on his recliner with his butt outline... well... I just decided to make light of it. If it made him happy and feel less repressed, then go for it. It's just difficult for him to enjoy the nudist lifestyle fully because my mom is TOTALLY against it for her. My dad sprung a visit up there once on my mom, and she was not having any of it. But he just wanted to show her it wasn't about anything bad and that the people were exactly as you described.

I think you and my dad actually ran into each other up there with the fellow BareBackers. Which was kind of weird for me to think about, but I have accepted it! And I think it's wonderful that it made you feel more comfortable in your own skin. :) It's just not for me.