Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Remaking America – Paying it Forward

A Little Brunette Angel named Tiffany.

Paying it forward can work both ways… and the other day at work, someone did something very sweet for me.

I’ve had this cold from hell for the past two weeks, and last Saturday at work, as the day wore on, I was really feeling yuky, and my voice was shot. I had a 21 year old girl named Tiffany working with me. Tiffany is your typical bubbly, Christian girl. She even has the ponytail that sways from side to side because of her enthusiastic walk. She’s just too cute. Well, for some strange reason, she really likes me and enjoys working during my shifts. So when she realized how awful I felt, she looked at me with genuine concern, and asked if she could pray for me. Well, I was sort of caught off guard, because I don’t exactly hear that every day. So I said “Uh, sure, if you’d like to. That would be nice.” I figured she'd wander off and pray for me, but no, instead she came over and stood behind my chair and put her hands on my shoulders, and said a very nice little prayer. Basically, she asked her "Heavenly Father" to touch my body and give it strength. She said a few other things about liking me, and wanting me to feel better and me being a good person. Then she said “Amen”, and bee-bopped out onto the sales floor, her brunette ponytail swaying as she went.

I wouldn’t dream of telling her that I’m a Darwinian, and that I don’t believe any of the same things she does. But regardless of what I do or do not believe,… I believe that was one of the sweetest, - purest – gestures anyone has made toward me in a long, long time.
And as we walked out to our cars together after work, I told her so.



P.S. (If I had awakened the next day, cured,.. I might have been a changed woman! LOL!)

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I love that story too! I had a neighbor from up here do that for me when I was going through chemo last time. She knocked on my door and asked if she could come in and pray for me. It was one of the nicest things and something I'll never forget.

Dee said...

Oh, ye of little faith. You are getting better. Oh, sure, you are doing everything you can to help yourself, but the ideas of what to do, the medications that do help all were there with the help of that prayer. ( man has been give the gift to conduct research that leads to medical miracles ).
She is a sweet girl and truly cares.
Thanks for sharing your story. I love it too.

Anonymous said...

While I was in the hospital for my first surgery I had an X-ray technicina come to my room to do an x-ray and he asked if he could pray for me and for good x-ray results. I said yes and he knelt right beside my bed and held my hand and prayed. It moved me to tears and I just knew that x-ray would be a good one....and it was!

Jodi said...

Wow, that was a really nice thing for that tech to do Sheri! You'd think she would get in trouble for doing that - even though most of us would appreciate it! Who doesn't want/need a little extra help!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was surprised too....and it isn't even a hospital associated with any religion. I sure appreciated it