Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Remaking America – Paying it Forward

The other day, I was at the doctors office sitting in the waiting room. A man in his 50’s wheeled in a very frail looking elderly lady, and parked her wheel-chair across the room from me. He took her coat off and laid it in her lap. He spoke loudly into her ear and told her the nurse would be out to get her in a few minutes. He then walked out the door and left in his vehicle.

I looked at her. She looked so tiny and helpless in that wheel-chair. She just stared down into her lap. I have no idea how old she was, probably in her 80’s or 90’s. She was dressed nicely and her hair was done. Her purse hung off the back handle of the wheel-chair. I went back to reading my magazine.

After a short while, a slight movement caught my eye. I looked up and the tiny lady was tugging at the coat that lay across her lap. It probably weighed as much as she did. I could tell she was trying to pull it up for warmth, but she was so weak she was not able to do so.

I walked over and kind of squatted down in front of her so that I would be at eye level for her. I asked her if I could help her with her coat. She clearly couldn’t hear me, so I stood up, and spoke clearly and slowly into her ear. I asked again if I could help her. She nodded slowly but didn’t speak. I asked her if she wanted to put her coat on. She nodded again. I took her coat and slipped her tiny hand into the sleeve, passed the coat around her back and helped her get her other hand into the other sleeve. I smoothed the coat down behind her back so that it wasn’t lumpy. I pulled it together in front, and asked if she wanted it buttoned. She slowly shook her head to mean no. I smiled at her, and then went back to my seat and my magazine.

I couldn’t help but wonder why that man had left her there alone, why could he have not stayed with her? It was only a few minutes later when the nurse came out to collect her. As the nurse started to wheel her away, she turned her little head toward me and gave me a fragile smile and nod. I beamed.

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I absolutely adore older people. So nice that you paid attention and were able to help her. Who knows if you weren't there if anyone else would have noticed.

H said...

That was a WONDERFUL way to pay it forward. :) Way to go, Aunty Lala!

Anonymous said...

I used to work with Seniors and the man may not have been a relative. There are services that provide elders with rides to appointments and come and get them when the docotr office phones them. I hope that is the case.....surely a relative wouldn't have left her. You are sweet to have paid attention to her needs.

Anonymous said...

I need to use spell check!

JACKI said...

ahhh... I love elderly people too. Isnt it neat to see the way we start out in life as a baby, so sweet and innoscent and end our life in the same way. Good job aunty LaLa!

Dee said...

That was a sweet thing to do Lala. I know that she appreciated it and she will remember your thoughtfulness.
Isn't is strange how a small kindness like that makes us feel as good as it makes them feel. If only everyone would pay it forward!