Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sew What!?!

So I haven't found a job yet,... but I haven't been idle either! 

Shortly before I left Boise, I started making a shirt for Sid.  I've seen him wear hawaiian shirts, so I figured he might like one that was homemade. 
So I started this yellow and green one.  I had to finish it after I got here.  I put a tag in the collar that says "Specially hand made by Linda".  He loved it!  But we discovered that in my hurry to complete it, I put the buttons on the wrong side!

Now, 2 of my previous 'significant others' would have rolled their eyes and thought that I had royally screwed up, and they'd refuse to touch it because the buttons were on the 'womens' side.  But not Sid, he was so cute.  He gave me a big hug and made me feel like a little girl that had just brought him a lovely boquet of dandylions.  He said he loved it, and he actually wore it!  3 times over the next week.  And he showed everyone the tag in it with my name on it.  He never mentioned to anyone that the buttons were put on wrong.  And nobody noticed.

Well, since he like that one so much, I decided to make him another one.  I also wanted to give him a special 'thank you'  for taking me out to see the orcas.  (He knew how badly I wanted to see an orca in the wild, and he didn't give up until he found them for me.)   I actually found some wonderful, bright blue fabric with cetaceans on it - orcas and dolphins.  I knew the blue would really bring out his blue eyes. It was perfect! And I was determined to get the buttons on right on this one! I put another 'made by Linda' tag in the collar.  He did indeed love it.  He wore it when we went to dinner with his son Sean and girlfriend Diane.  He loved telling them I made it.   

He took it with him on his current 'charter'.  (He is out skippering a boat again for 5 days.)  As he was packing it, he said, "I'm gonna wear this on the day I take them out to the 'Straight'  looking for the whales."

Isn't he cute!???


OK, so I just started another one for him!  His birthday is on Sunday, so I want to have it done by then.  (Actually, he gets back from his 'charter' on Friday, so really, I need to have it done by Friday.)  This shirt is not the Hawaiian style.  This is more of a long sleeved dress shirt.  Since I've discovered that blue looks so pretty on him, I found pale blue fabric, with navy blue line drawings of the world map.   I'll put a "Linda" tag in this one too.  I hope he likes it!

7 comments:

kate said...

That's so awesome!! You are so talented, and I love the fabrics you picked out for his shirts. I really love blue one. Cool! Where'd you get the "Made by Linda" tags??

Sid looks so much like Roy Scheider it's freaky. Don't you think?? If he tells you he wants to go look for sharks, DON'T GO!!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&resnum=0&q=roy+scheider&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=DqCdSsmDLpTUsgPb9swY&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

Dee said...

You are the best shirt maker ! I love 'em and apparently Sid does too. You're a good picker-outer of fabric. And he's looking pretty darn smart in his new clothes.

Jodi said...

Awesome job sister! I want one with pink flamingos...

Long sleeve please...

Jodi said...

Oh hell, never mind, I forget that basically all I can wear is stretchy fabrics - hence the sweatshirts, because of my lymphodema and how it affects the clothes I can wear...

Sigh.

JACKI said...

good job Linda! mom... maybe Linda could make you a 'custom' flamingo shirt with one arm bigger! ;o)

Linda said...

Hey! I could do that!!! I will start looking for Pink Flamingo fabric. You guys look too. If you see it, I'll need 2.5 yards to make her a shirt. That would be soooo cute on you sister!

Dee said...

That poor dog ! Talk about a short leash ! Somehow the dog did manage to get his front feet on the ground.
(just joshin', Sid)