Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Grace under fire - aka - MOM


I knew a long time ago that my Mother was an amazing person. And the longer I am a Mom, the more I admire my own Mom.

Being a Mom is a difficult job. And it doesn’t get easier as kids get older, it gets more difficult. The problems are bigger, more expensive, more earth shattering, more life changing and you have less control. The tears, the heartache and the helplessness can be overwhelming at times.
I don’t think there is a more difficult job on the planet. Well, maybe being a Brain Surgeon. Because like a Mom, they too have a lot of responsibility to do their job right, there is a lot of stress, and one mistake - one “oops” - and someone could be toast. That’s a lot of weight on someone’s shoulders. But, unlike the Mother, the Brain Surgeon can retire after a certain amount of time, with a nice cushy pension. There is no retirement from being a mom, it’s a ‘rest of your life’ kind of job, kind of like the Supreme Court, I think.

And there certainly is no cushy pension, hell, there’s not even a cash income for Moms. That’s why there are no “professional” Moms. How could there be? There simply is no way you could pay ANYONE what a Mom is worth. All the counseling, doctoring, chauffeuring, teaching, spending, preaching, mentoring, seamstressing, chef-ing, cleaning, policing and protecting, nurturing and loving…. and Moms work 24-7 without end. Hell, Bill Gates couldn’t afford her! So why would anyone in their right mind even WANT this job????

Simple,… because it pays so good. No, there’s no cash income, Mom’s are paid in a different kind of currency. Something better than money, something absolutely priceless. Mom’s get bouquets of dandelions, silly knock-knock jokes, wild stories – (some actually true as they get older! Aaaaahhh!). Moms get a never ending supply of hugs and kisses, smiles and laughter, songs and dances, and endless opportunities to burst with pride. Mom’s get a best friend, and a lifetime of love. (And sometimes even grandkids!) When you think about it, who WOULDN’T want this job! :o)

Yeah, it’s a tough job. But the pride and fun is worth every tear and heartache.

Mom, the longer I am a Mother, the more I admire you. You are truly an example of “grace under fire”. You are a pillar, a rock, an angel, a friend, and a stellar example of how to be a good Mother. Thank you. I love you. Lala


P.S. I may be the last one to figure this out, but I found out that by double clicking on a picture in our blogs, that you can see the picture full sized. (I HAD to see Kate’s snowflakes better!)

2 comments:

kate said...

Aaawww, that's beautiful. Funny, I was just thinking about mom this morning on the way to work, and how she said that parenting doesn't even START to get hard until they're 18 or so.

I swear, I do not know how she has survived us.

Mom, you rock. (even if you did put a hex on us to end up with children just like each of us.) :)

Dee said...

awww shucks, I didn't do anything special. You all grew up into amazing people in spite of me. I am so very proud of all of you !
Thank you for your kind words, Lala. And you too, Kate. ---- I am so lucky that all of you show your love for me. Thank you, it means so much to me. !!!!!!!!!

Gee, my hex worked ! yipee, I'm a witch !