Wednesday, April 14, 2010

They say ya gotta spend money to make money....

Looks like I got to Portland too late to get a job at a garden center. It appears everyone is done hiring for the season. But maybe that's not so bad....

Oddly enough, I’ve found several jobs on craigslist for sewing and seamstress work. My seamstress business was just starting to take off when I left Anacortes, there seemed to be a need for it up there. But there seems to be a need here, too.

The tricky part is, REAL seamstress work requires a second sewing machine, a serger. I have enough money coming back from taxes to buy the serger. I feel like I should do this, buy the 2nd machine, and vigorously seek out sewing jobs.

What the heck, I’ve got a skill that not everyone has. I’ve got the equipment and tools (well, most of it!). And if I find a real job, I can always continue sewing for extra income.

But it’s so very scary trying to be self employed. Especially when you have to make ends meet on your own. I mean, sure I can still continue to try to look for a ‘regular’ job, while I do seamstress work.

I just don't know if I should spend the money. They say you have to spend money to make money. Oh, what to do??? To buy the serger, or not to buy the serger! It's not that expensive, and heaven knows I could use the work. I guess it’s the right thing to do huh?

But according to Kate, since when do I worry about doing the right thing? Butt-head.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

I say go for it. But then again, what do I know. I think you could do very well at this and for some odd reason, you seem to enjoy it! I'd have to commit harry caray...

lisa said...

do it!

kate said...

BUY THE SERGER.

Just don't call me cryin' when you try to thread it.

:)

Dee said...

Kate is such a sweetheart---she'll just fly over and help you thread it. Brat !

So what does a serger do ?

Sheri said...

I wrote a very lengthy comment earlier and it's not here. Oh well, just know I spoke words of profound wisdom and it likely would have changed your life.

Jodi said...

Oh Sheri, you're so full of shit, I mean sound advice! Don't you just love it when computers eat your words.

Sheri said...

Dear Jodi, How rude!!You are full of shit too, thats why I like you!

Linda said...

Sheri - I'm so bummed that we lost your 'words of wisdom'! I could soooo use a life changing event!!! LOL!!!

And ignore Jodi, she's just pissed cuz she ain't go no wisdom!