Monday, June 7, 2010

Sewing Projects

I have been getting some great sewing jobs.

I am currently working on putting all new isinglass into a boat dodger. (Putting new plastic window material into the canvas windshield and sides.) It's a large job. It's a full enclosure with 4 large pieces that contain 7 'windows'.

This has been a very challenging project. But I'd really like to reach a point to where I can specialize in marine sewing, so this is a fantastic.

You can see the old window material is badly discolored, and also cracked and breaking apart. Removing the old material, while maintaining the correct size and shape of the canvas frame was the most difficult part of the entire project, but I figured out a great trick and it has worked beautifully.

This is the old windshield... you can really see the discoloration on the right side of the picture.
This is the new windshield. Much better!



Old...


New!


I'm not completely finished, but I will get it wrapped up on my day off this week. :o)


These are some cushions and a table cloth that I made for a lady that has an antique patio set which is painted pale blue. She said she also has red flower pots and accents in the area. She asked me to help pick out fabric that would look good, as well as do the sewing. Here's what we did!

She said she'd send me a photo of the cushions ON the set, but I haven't received that yet. (Too wet to put the cushions outside!)
After finishing the boat dodger, I'll be putting a backing on a quilt and making matching pillow shams.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Holy cow I'm impressed! Good for you sister, maybe this is your new calling!

Dee said...

I'm very impressed too !
Replacing that isenglass looks extremely difficult and I don't see how you did it, but----GOOD JOB !

And the "map" material for the set is so cool ! Your imagination and creativity are going to make you famous, I just know it !

Dee said...

Oh, love the pic of you holding Maggie !

kate said...

Wow! I'm so impressed that you even took that boat-window job on! It seems so intimidating. But you did it and you'll get other jobs from it.

This really could be a new career for you! And you're in the perfect place for it. Good job sis; way to make it happen for yourself!