Friday, April 4, 2008

On sewing...

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859
Heather and Jacki:
This is my NEW sewing machine.
It's a Brother XL 2600i .
It's smooth, and easy to use. It has a simple drop in bobbin and it's easy to thread. It does 26 different stiches and does automatic button holes. It comes with a button hole foot, a zipper foot, a double needle, extra regular needles and spare bobbins.
I got it at http://www.costco.com/ for $89.00! ($155 at sewing stores, $139 at Target, $129 at Walmart - same damn machine!!!) I realize that $89 might as well be a million when you don't have it, but if you can manage to stash $10 a week for a just 2 months, BINGO, you've got a nice sewing machine that you can grow into, not out of. You will have (and use!) this machine the rest of your life! I guarantee it! They last that long!

I'm volunteering Grama Pogue here, (he, he,... HI MOM!) but I'm sure Grama would be happy to give you Sewing 101 lessons. Just the real simple forward, backward, pinning fabric, etc. She taught me, she's a good teacher. She has an older sewing machine, but it works great. She'd probably let you borrow it to practice on if you're careful with it. (I love you MOM!) The key is to start simple. Don't go buy a pattern for a childs outfit yet. Make a square pillow first, then an apron, or small cutains. K.I.S.S. and you won't get frustrated.

"Coupe deux, coupe deux. Cut two, cut two." >singing to myself...<

I'll be coming over in July, I think. I'd be happy to spend a day with you teaching you how to read patterns and do some other simple tricks to get you started.
I LOVE teaching sewing.

This is an outfit I'm making for Gracie and Alli. It's sooo cute!!!



Gracie's is blue with pink watermelons, and the pants are pink polka dot like the straps.


Allies is Green with pink Strawberries and the pants and straps are green polka dot.
I should have them done in a couple of weeks, and then I'll get them mailed over in time for fun in the sun!

My suggestion for a hobby is SEWING! :o)

8 comments:

kate said...

I was just in Joann's yesterday and was wondering about the outfits you're making for the little girls! They are going to be sooo cute; you have to post pictures when they're done.

Look at that adorable little sewing machine! $89 bucks! Such a deal. Wish we could get one for both the girls...

I agree, sewing is the way to go.

Jodi said...

I agree but I've never been good at it. But it's a great hobby that yields quick results!

What are you coming for in July? Mom's birthday???? YEA! Oh, that's right, Kate is coming then too! YEEHAW, what awful thing should we do this time???

kate said...

Tattoo our boobies!!!!!!!!

Jodi said...

GREAT idea! I know mine won't hurt. I won't even wesr 'em down there, I'll just put them in a bag. Now YOU two on the other hand, that might hurt. But I know you're tough...

Linda said...

Damn, that nice little conversation went down hill quick!

Maybe we can have a bake sale and raise money to buy the girls machines! Oh, wait,... none of us can cook... shit! Well, we'll keep thinking!

I've been working on Grace's outfit all morning. I'm about done. Then I'll do Alli's.

It's so much fun to sew for little girls!!!

Dee said...

Hey, you volunteered me and I have forgotten EVERYTHING I have ever known about sewing,------I think. All I do now is repair seams. As for my machine, they can't even lift it. Takes 2 men and a boy to hoist it up on the table.
The outfits are adorable, as will the girls be wearing them. ! Sooo cute. !

JACKI said...

yay! I cant wait to see the finished products!
Well, Im going to see if Heather wants to go in halfs on a sewing machine with me and maybe tonight we'll have a girls gone wild sewing night... with McDonalds kids meals and everything!

Hmmmm... I think I'll call her right now...

H said...

FUN! How bout we hit up Costco tomorrow? :)