Friday, June 13, 2008

I want a dog...

When the lease runs out on this ‘arm pit’ we’re living in, (September! Ugh!), I’m getting out, and I’m getting a house. (Yea, I’ll probably have to rent for now.) But I want a house, so that I can have a yard and a dog. I have been without a dog for two and a half years, (probably the longest time in my life), and I want a dog! I’ve always had a dog, and I’ve always been very close to my dogs. Ah, yes,… the unconditional love that only a dog can give. Damn, I miss that. I used to have the greatest conversations with Hilde. She was an awesome listener. Best shrink I’ve ever known. And I miss Mattie terribly. Gob, she was funny. What a nut!

Yeah, Bob had dogs, but they weren’t mine, and really weren’t even allowed in the house. (which is ridiculous) So they didn’t count. I miss having that love and companionship. (Don’t get me wrong, I love Gracie to pieces, but cuddling with her is DANGEROUS! ) . Who knows, maybe having a dog might help me avoid making a mistake ‘relationship’ wise. I always want and need affection, companionship, snuggling, and love. I think having a dog might help alleviate some of that. Who needs a man when you’ve got a good dog?

Now the hard part is: What kind of dog? It HAS to be trainable, smart, well behaved and able to be around people and other animals. It has to be able to be in the house, in my car, go for walks, and even occasionally go to work with me. I’d like a small dog, but MOST of them are on the low end in intelligence and difficult to house train consistently.

After doing my research, the best two dogs are a sheltie or a golden retriever.
Shelties are very smart, and trainable. But they are often not very social. They are not fans of kids and other animals and can get ‘nippy’.
Goldens are perfect, except that they are large, and have one of the shortest life expectancies of any dog. 9 or 10 years, vs 12 to 14 for a sheltie and many other breeds.

I wouldn’t mind getting a mutt from a shelter, but anymore, it’s still $200 to adopt a mutt, and you don’t know what you’re getting in terms of health, size, temperament, or intelligence. At least buying from a reputable breeder you know what to expect.

Well, I’ve got a while to decide.
Oh, and if you're bored, look up anuptaphobia - it's real! LOL!

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Goldens are awesome for sure - I ought to know, we have 2 1/2. Daisy, the goldendoodle is so friggin' smart and sweet. AND, I think I have a solution for you, you can do some research on it. I saw a "minature" goldendoodle up here that was so cute I could hardly stand it. She was 1/2 golden and 1/2 MINATURE poodle! So naturally, she was small, about half the size of a golden. It was done through artificial insemination. Do some reasearch and find out how much they are. If they're WAY to expensive, I think you'd be so happy with a golden. They're bigger, but once they're through they're teenage years, they're just so easy to have and take with you if you want to.

Jodi said...

Here's a good website to start, is that a cute dog or what!!!!!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturegoldendoodle.htm

Jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

cute!

David said...

I vote for a mutt from a shelter. True, it can be just as expensive to rescue them, BUT you are rescuing a dog vs. supporting the puppy-mill industry. Plus, mutts don't have all the genetic problems of the pure-breds so they have the longest life-expectancy of all. And they're grateful to you for life, I swear.

Dee said...

The most important thing is to get a puppy and love it to pieces. Talk to it ( like Hilde or Smokey) and by your disapproving voice only, it will have manners, behave and be your best friend. That Sheltie is a doll. I would think that loving care and socializing the dog often with all ages of people, would be no "nippy" problems. But have never had one. Another great dog is Australian Shepherd and Collie mix, but it would be large. That pic of the little fuzzy one is so sweet. Look at that face !

Linda said...

David reads my blog??? Well that's cool! (Or was that you, Kate?)

kate said...

It was me. I'm sorry! I didn't realize until after I'd commented on Jodi's that David was logged on to my computer. I've TOLD him and TOLD him to not touch my stuff!! :) (it's really HIS computer but it's in MY sewing room...)

Dee said...

Hooty's mood also looks like:
Have you done now !

Dee said...

no, today I can't talk or write.


He's asking:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW?